Sunday 6 July 2014

Rock Bottom? The Only Way Is Up

“Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life” ~ J K Rowling Today I weigh 18 stone 7lbs (259 pounds 117.7KG) more than I have ever weighed in my life (including full term pregnancy). How have I got here? Eating too much. Drinking too much. Dieting too much. Many moons ago, probably around 1988 I weighed around 10 stone 7lbs and joined Slimming World for the first time. That is my goal weight now. In those days there was the red and the green day. I totally misunderstood the concept and though all red and green food was free and only the 2 for yous were restricted (I think they’re called Healthy Options now) consequently I gained in my first week. I use this analogy to kind of explain where I’m up to. I decided a long time ago that dieting was making me fat(ter). My last big push to lose weight was when I entered The Outlaw in September 2012. I was 17 and a half stone and I lost a stone and a half in 6 weeks by training consistently and fuelling for hunger. Then I lost my job. It’s the reason the wheels came off the wagon but shouldn’t have been. I had more time to train and should have used it as a time to focus and channel my frustrations into building a healthy body. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The weight crept back on I’ve done no training to speak of and gained another stone since I started my current job 11 months ago. Obviously it’s the job to blame or should I say the amazing free lunches that are provided every day. The job has led me to study Mindfulness, Neuro Linguistic Programming, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy all in an attempt to sort out my own head. A very good friend of mine introduced me to a Virtual Gastric Band Hypnosis. The App was £4.99 but the first track was £0.99. Not wanting to waste £4 (bearing in mind I’ve wasted absolute thousands of pounds on weight loss gimmicks and gizmos in the past) I bought the first track. I then bought the first track to the Bikini App. I then bought the full VGB App and the full Bikini App and the Reduce your Alcohol. I’m waffling I know but what I’m getting at is I’ve overloaded body and mind and ended up achieving nothing. I work colleague has gestational diabetes. Being really cocky I asked her to test my blood sugar. It was 28.7. I was mortified and managed to get an appointment with the diabetic nurse the following day. We established that had that reading been correct I would have been very unwell and was probably caused by sugars on my fingers (from eating dried fruit and nuts) . I’d had blood tests a couple of days previously:- Gamma GT 80 (should be between 7 and 46) HBA1C 40 (OK) Fasting blood 6.3 (should be less than 6) Cholesterol 5.3 (should be less than 5) 3.1 (ratio fine) Blood Pressure 160 over 120 I expected this to be the wake up of all wake up calls. I desperately wanted her to say “Stop drinking and lose weight Lynne or you will die.” This wasn’t the case. My results are not that bad however she made no bones about if I continue my present lifestyle it won’t be long before she is making that statement. So what am I going to do? My counsellor has been ill for a few weeks but we had an incredibly productive meeting on Friday. Work lunches – I explained “everyone” ate the work lunches and it would be frowned upon and considered rude if I didn’t. She made me realise that it’s far better to upset work colleagues than end up dead. Yes I know over dramatising but I need all the help I can get. The hypnosis is undoubtedly beneficial however I need to establish which one will help me most. She’s asked me to associate wine with bleach. Alcohol (in excess) is a poison. Whilst wine will not cause my organs to melt in the same way that drinking bleach would if I can hold on to that visualization it’s going to help. Here are the Sue Peckham and James Holmes guidelines:- Eat what you want NOT what you can You want to be a slim, fit healthy person so you want to eat the foods that Slim, Fit Healthy people eat. Your body knows what it needs to stay healthy. Listen to your body. Depriving yourself of certain foods only increases your desire for those foods. You always want more of what you believe you can’t have. There are no forbidden foods, just some foods that are healthier than others. Eat whenever you are physically hungry, every time you are physically hungry but only when you are physically hungry. Ignoring your body’s natural hunger can lead to overeating and fat storage later on. Eat SLOWLY Slow your eating speed down to a quarter of what it is now. Put down your knife and fork between mouthfuls and ensure your mouth is completely empty before you take another bite. If you’re still eating too fast then try changing your knife and fork over into the other hand or eat with chop sticks. When eating a sandwich or biscuit etc, put the food down between mouthfuls. After each mouthful ask yourself “Am I still hungry?” As soon as you even think you are no longer hungry STOP eating. Your body will tell you when you have eaten sufficient. Always leave some food on your plate. When you are hungry again later you can eat some more but make sure you STOP eating as soon as you even think you are no longer hungry. So at 50 my goal is to weigh 10 stone 7lbs and my dream is to be medication free. Many lessons learned, living in the present is a gift, I am hopeful of a bright future

No comments: