Sunday 8 February 2009

Weeks 4 & 5




Two weeks! Too Long!

And today I weighed 15stone 6lbs.

I’ve lost 2lb a week which I can’t complain about but no doubt will. Lesley has lost 22lb by doing low carb and my manager has lost 10lb by doing the Celebrity Slim shake and soup regime.

1. Eat when you’re REALLY hungry


2. Eat what you really want


3. Eat consciously


4. Stop When You’re Full


5. Drink Water

I’ve consumed vast quantities of alcohol. I’ve had several take aways, including fish and chips, but basically I have stuck to the above and I have lost weight.

I’ve got into the habit of eating breakfast. A 2 minute dinged Oat so Simple is easy to fit into the morning routine. Slight problem was when I had oatcakes for lunch and excruciating stomach pains in the afternoon (oat overload!) settled over a day or two and I do feel better for it.

Exercise has been non existent. Wait for it, two really good excuses. The knee – not good. Knew I’d have to rest it for 2 weeks. When I say rest though, I mean not run. I did intend to use the gym and swim but that’s where the other excuse comes in, the weather. Ice and snow. I have been able to get to work and get the kids to school (theirs was the only school open on one particular day!) but… the side roads have been pretty treacherous. I’ve played dancing on ice on several occasions. Last Thursday in particular dropped the big kids off at their Dad’s, approached the main road braked and continued to be propelled forward with a horrible crunching sound. Luckily there was nothing coming but rather scary.

I really “suffer” when I don’t run. I initially had the knee problem, then my hip hurt and because I didn’t run, the ankle I broke when I was pregnant with Morgan became swollen (it’s a circulation thing!) So that’s the physical side. The mental bit is that I have all the PMT symptoms and although I know I haven’t got BSE I really do turn into a Mad Cow.

Mark’s reaction is:-

“ For fcuk’s sake Lynne will you get out and run and come back in a better mood?”

Morgan made me laugh but gave me the kick up the arse I needed:- “Have you got a baby in your tummy Mummy?”

“No Morgan, why?”

“Because Auntie Corrine (playgroup supervisor) has a big tummy and she’s got a baby in hers”

Well… come hell or high water I was running yesterday. The forecast wasn’t too bad and I thought as long as we didn’t have a hard frost I’d be ok.. It had snowed overnight which was good as it had obviously warmed up and I could run on the fresh snow. I thought it was impossible for anyone to run any slower than I usually did. I was wrong. I was just extremely grateful for my tenner trail shoes. They were just the job. A work colleague had misjudged a kerb last weekend and torn the ligaments in her ankle so I was very conscious of taking care. At one stage I ended up running on grass because I had no idea where the road/pavement/verge started or ended.

Told Mark when I got back felt like I was running through treacle. His obvious response was “I wouldn’t know I’ve never run through treacle!” Doh! Best thing about it? A snow plough lifted its bucket so I didn’t get drenched and a fabulous red sun rise which had turned yellow by the time I got my camera out.







The worst thing? 200 yards from home a 4X4 dived for a lake of a puddle and I was dripping drenched

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I THINK I’VE EVER READ ABOUT EATING/EXERCISE (From Paul McKenna of course)

“There are two types of energy – potential and kinetic. Petrol is an example of potential energy – in and of itself, it just sits there , but when you stick it in an engine, it becomes ‘kinetic’ it fuels the engine to take the car wherever you want to go. As the potential energy becomes kinetic, it gets used up and needs to be replenished.

Similarly , food is the potential energy for the engine of your body. This is why it’s so important to both eat when you’re hungry and move your body.

If you keep driving without putting in enough petrol, what would you expect to happen to your engine? It would continually splutter and stall, and eventually wear out.

On the other hand, if you keep putting petrol into a car without ever driving it, the petrol would begin overflowing everywhere, creating a safety hazard and a bit of a mess.

By balancing eating when you’re hungry (filling the tank) and moving your body frequently (driving the car), your body will reward you by taking you wherever you want to go”

So that’s the plan.

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow”
Albert Einstein

“The body never lies”
Martha Graham

“I think awareness I probably the most important thing in becoming a champion”
Billie Jean-King

“The only reason I would take up jogging is so that I can hear heavy breathing again”
Erma Bombeck

“Follow your instincts. That’s where true wisdom manifests itself.”
Oprah Winfrey

“Water its living strength first shows.
When obstacles its course oppose”
Johann Wolfgang von Goeth

“Love the moment and the energy of the moment will spread beyond all boundaries”
Sister Corita Kent

“A smile is a curve that sets everything straight”
Phyllis Diller

*If you watch how nature deals with adversity, continually renewing itself, you cannot help but learn”
Bernie S Siegel

“Success is neither magical or mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals”
Jim Rohn

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
Jim Ryun

“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
Jim Ryun

“You always pass failure on the way to success”
Mickey Rooney

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily”
Zig Ziglar

“Celebrate what you want to see more of”
Tom Peters


“Throughout the day today, ask your body this question:

“What can I do to take better care of you in this moment?”

Regardless of whether the answer is ‘take a deep breath’, ‘love me’, or ‘give me a cream cake’, honour your body’s wisdom and do what you can to take care of it.”

Paul McKenna

No comments: