Monday 19 January 2009

Congratulations! For two weeks!

Well for the benefit of Jim…

Thursday cross trainer in the gym. The bit I love most about it is the way the calorie counter spins. I’m obviously not working hard enough because it feels like very little effort for burning 600 calories in an hour.

There is just no urge to overeat whatsoever. It’s as if an alien has possessed my body.

Friday – gym and static bike. I think I need to change the sport’s programme because whatever I do my heart rate stays at around 140. Was conscious of last week’s bad day in the office hit the cider but I was determined to run long on Saturday so yet another successful not on a diet, diet day.

The rain woke me during the night and all I could think of was what was I going to wear? When I left the house at 8am the rain had stopped but boy was it cold. Not a frosty cold but a bitter wind. I’d decided to do the Borders because hey it took me 82 minutes the last (and only) time I’d done it and the longest I’ve run the past 6 weeks or so is 40 minutes so what the hell let’s double it? It’s a bit of a long incline then you hit the first hill. I’d used the old rope trick previously and it got me up again – no walking – success. I hit the top and had to walk. The wind literally took my breath away. I only walked perhaps 50 yards and then a gentle climb to the next killer hill. Amazingly that too wasn’t a problem. There’s a lovely scenic, flat bit through the village which when the sun is out and you can hear the cows, horses and sheep you realise why exactly you do this running lark. Then for the decent. The lane’s a bit rough. Wish I’d used my trail shoes. Lots of mud and general crap. Then out onto the main ish road. It’s a B road. Wide enough for 2 cars just but, the motor vehicles do tend to take it a bit fast. It’s a tiny bit hairy. That’s why I try and get out early. It’s mostly downhill with a couple of undulations and then the steep downhill which absolutely killed my knees. Then pretty flat all the way home. 78minutes – absolutely delighted. I really felt like I could have carried on. I had a very civilised conversation, without huffing and puffing, with my husband when I got in and had none of the leg shakes I’d experienced last time.

Went to Chester later on and managed to bag myself some bargain gym gear except they’re not that much of a bargain as they’ve been labelled wrong and don’t fit. Never mind more incentive to shift the weight so that they will.

Morgan had a party in the Sports Centre in the afternoon. I made casual enquiries as to when the pool would reopen and was horrified to be told the end of March/beginning of April.

When we came out it was throwing it down and blowing a hooly. I rang Mark, expecting to be told to pick him up from the pub but he wanted another hour and promised to bring a take-away home with him. Disaster! Like I can’t say no! Like just because he’s having one I don’t have to have one! I enjoyed every mouthful. I didn’t touch the Bombay alu and I gave Morgan half my rice. All in all not too bad. Except…. They gave us a free bottle of wine and I drank the lot. Then had a family bag of crisps. But what the hell? One blowout a week’s fine? Isn’t it?

Sunday I got my bike out for the first time in months. I have no lights so practically the only time I can cycle is the weekend and it’s been either too icy or too windy for ages. As I struggled along I mentally wrote my blog. Gym miles is no substitute for road miles. I really must make more effort. Then I stopped beating myself up and came to the conclusion this is the 7th consecutive day of training and I’ve done very little over the past month or so. Of course I’m going to be tired. One thing that really concerned me though was I’ve lost my nerve on the downhills. In fairness it was quite windy and there was quite a lot of crap on the roads.

I’d always thought the Borders was about 5.6miles and as I did it from home was quite convinced I was getting a good 10k out of it. My bike speedo said 5.33 so I’m still much slower than I thought.

“Pleasure is the object, the duty and the goal of all rational creatures”
Voltaire

“This life is not for complaint, but for satisfaction”
Henry David Thoreau

“Living in balance and purity is the highest good for you and the earth”
Deepak Chopra

“The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate”
Oprah Winfrey

“You have to eat regularly to maintain your energy levels – if you starve your body, it simply stores everything that you do eat”
Cindy Crawford

“Congratulations! For two weeks now you have been interuptiing your old patterns of diet and exercise and building the foundations for a whole new way of relating to food, your emotions and your body. By the time you are finished with this journal, it will be as difficult for you to go back to your old ways of doing things as it will be easy and natural to eat and live in a way that truly works for you.

Remember this journal is designed to support you in creating the habits of empowered eating. Take a moment now to jot down anything you’ve already noticed about how things are changing…..”

Paul McKenna

1. My wee is clearer
2. My bowels are regular
3. I don’t constantly think of food
4. The need to unwind with alcohol has gone
5. I’m a lot calmer
6. I’m working more efficiently – my thought processing is quicker and clearer
7. I’m able to switch off
8. I have very definite goals and plans of how I will achieve them.
9. I am so far up my own arse all I can see are my boots

10. I'm really pissed off withmyself I didn't start this before and then I might be doing the Wrexham half and not have to wait until May to do the Chester half

1 comment:

ZenPunk said...

1. My wee is clearer
2. My bowels are regular

This is a little bit more information than we need...

:o)

Jim